Monday, October 24, 2005

Mini-Reviews

Doom (2005)
What a dumb movie this was. Instead of retaining the demonic aspect of the game, the movie version was turned into another one of those monster movies on genetic aberrations. And yeah, throw in the zombie aspect of infected humans going around mindless. If I wanted zombies in space I'd ask George A. Romero to make a Planet of the Dead. (Hmm...that DOES sound like a good idea...)
Grade: D (barely passing)
FYC: dream on.

Cinderella Man (2005)
Can Russell Crowe do any wrong (as an actor, at least)? He was amazing in this film and made Renee Zellweger lame by comparison. I suddenly realized with this movie that Renee isn't that good an actress (in my humble opinion). I don't think she'll be getting any Oscar attention for this one. As usual, Paul Giamatti delivered a strong, interesting performance. Regardless of the flaw in casting (though I can't name one right now, I'm sure someone could have done a better job than Renee), it was a great film overall, very involving and moving. I'm not into boxing in and out of movies, but this one had me rooting for Jim Braddock as if so much depended on his victory. And I'm sure that's exactly what the film wanted to accomplish (that and box office success, of course, but you can't have everything).
Grade: B+ (would have been an A if not for Ms. Zellweger)
FYC: Best Picture, Best Director (Ron Howard), Best Actor (Russell Crowe), Best Supporting Actor (Paul Giamatti) Best Original Screenplay, Best Original Score, Best Editing, Best Art Direction

The Upside of Anger (2005)
A simple but moving film with a great performance by Joan Allen, a nice commendable turn by Kevin Costner, and so-so contributions by the four daughters (Alicia Witt, Keri Russell, Erika Christensen, Evan Rachel Wood). Recommended viewing if only to see Allen's mesmerizing portrayal of a mother who is driven to anger by her sense of loss.
Grade: B
FYC: Best Actress (Joan Allen)

No comments: