Monday, March 06, 2006

Thoughts on the 78th and Predictions for the 79th

I am one of those [few?] who are really happy that Crash won the Best Picture award at the Oscars. Several reasons: 1) It's the first big surprise win since Shakespeare in Love prevailed (deservedly) over Saving Private Ryan. I love Oscar surprises (and was hoping for one in the Supporting categories, with wins by Michelle Williams and Jake Gyllenhaal). 2) It DESERVED to win. In my humble opinion, it's the easily the most deserving winner since the glorious sweep of The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King. Granted, Brokeback Mountain was a good film and will remain one of the most important in recent film history, but I thought it overrated. Crash was the most well-crafted film this year. 3) I got it right. I'm one of the not-so-many people who predicted that it would take the award from Brokeback Mountain. I'm glad I risked that call.

That having been said, I don't get why some people are reacting so vehemently against the win of Crash (see the article in Oscarwatch). It's personal preference, of course, but does the victory of Crash really deserve such spite? I don't think so.

Ok, that's over. It was fun, though I'm not so happy with Clooney's win. Now, I've posted my VERY EARLY predictions for the 79th Academy Awards. I'm sure I'm not the only one.

No comments: